Thursday, August 19, 2010

Beginnings. Ponds

Thought I would show you some pictures of my ponds  in the beginning. I have a hill from my front porch to the  driveway , so I thought it would be a great spot for a water fall.  The  first year I just put a preformed pond that I bought from Menards at the foot of the falls.



But I just couldn't live with that itsy bitsy pond. So I spent the next summer digging out a new one  I did have someone come  with a back hoe in May and dig the holes, ( I also decided I wanted two separate ponds  with a bridge between)  anyway  I thought that once he was done I could put my liners in and they would be finished.  Unfortunately it took me till August to get the hand digging done.  Then another month to line the ponds with sand, install the liners and  to place the rocks, I had gathered.




 It was all worth it, I loved the way it turned out.








Heres some pictures this year, five years later.











It sure looks different now , and I really enjoy the sound of the water.
As an added advantage, the birds love it too.  

4 comments:

  1. Lynda, your 'beginning' pond is the most beautiful one I have ever seen! I so envy your hilly land and the babbling stream ending in a waterfall. You have collected a LOT of beautiful rocks! Your ponds are so clear, I can see I need to take lessons from you on water gardening. You have an artist's eye for garden design.

    I know what you mean about the construction phase; we hired a friend to dig our pond in 2002, and we're still working at placing stone in 2010...the work never ends, does it? Does your husband like to garden, too?

    We were just in Menominee, MI two weeks ago, had gone on a trip to visit a friend of ours who lives in Marinette, WI with our hosta club. I wonder how near we were to your lovely garden?

    I'll talk to you soon, Lynda, have a great weekend!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen , thanks so much for your kind words.
    You asked if husband liked to garden , and I must say the answer is a very positive no. ;) He is self employed and works all the time. But he is very supportive of all my wild endeavors. My next project is building a garden shed. You were very close to me when you visited Marinette. I work in Marinette and it about a 15 minute drive.

    Thanks again, Lynda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you kidding me? I would love to have this!! Thanks for visiting my blog, you are welcome anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lyn, what a lovely view you've established with your water features. And, I guess they never need weeding! My daughter was in Ann Arbor for a couple of years for school - I so envy the deep deep greens you can have even towards the end of summer. Not the case here in Central Texas I assure you. Thanks for visiting Gardenista - hope you'll be back!

    ReplyDelete