Saturday, August 28, 2010

For the birds.

For years my husband didn't want me to feed the birds ,  he didn't like the mess. Well all things mellow with age even husbands.So  for the last several years , the birds have been enjoying my many feeders. When I told my husband what I wrote about him ,he said "well they are messy",with a grin, and I guess, I have to agree. : ) But that doesn't stop me from adding more feeders.
I have also been buying berry producing scrubs for my birds. I took  pictures yesterday of  the berries that are ripening .

Dwarf cranberry bush viburmum


Beach Plum


American Elderberry



Blacklace elderberry


This Arrowwood viburnum was loaded with berries until last week when the dark blue berries ripened. In one day the birds cleaned it out.When I got home from work there were only a few berries left ,a couple of birds were flitting through the bush looking for every last one. I didn't get a chance to get my camera. I really wanted a picture because I wasn't able to identify the birds.


Picked clean not a berry to be found.


I  have a Saskatoon service berry called Regent but the berries were eaten buy robins early this summer.
My dogwood (Ivory Halo ) is blooming now so there should be some berries soon. Tried to take a picture but it is too windy today.




 I wanted to show you the downy woodpecker having a drink from the hummingbird feeder.
Notice the red bellied woodpecker at the suet feeder in the background.




Oh ya, guess I've never mentioned that I also have pygmy and fainting goats.: )
Nine in all , started with two pygmys added 2 fainters ,now I have 9. Ugh! Needless to say I now have the one billy goat separated from the rest of the herd.   : )


3 comments:

  1. I got such a chuckle out of your comment about your husband...and I'm still waiting for mine to mellow, darn it!

    I feed the wild birds in the wintertime when I feed my little flock of eight chickens. My mother has feeders out all year round. I have a question for you, how do you keep the chipmunks out of the feeders? Mom gets so mad at them as they lay in the feeder and chase the birds away.

    Oh, and you have goats! I had a pygmy named 'Goater Goat' for just one summer as a 'loaner' (he was supposed to mow the lawn out back, but was too lonely to eat much grass so he ended up racing around on the rocks in the garden and trying to eat the lawn mower seat. They are cute, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karen, I do have chipmunks but most of my feeders hang from the balcony above my deck so they can't reach them. I have old enamelware basins that catch the dropped seeds.That's where the chipmunks hang out.They also have to be the look out for Onnie my son's chocolate lab. She loves to chase the chipmunks. I store my seeds in a galvanized trash can.

    I have a large fenced in area for the goats and they keep the grass mowed in there, but if I let them out,they make a beeline right to my garden. lol They especially love the scrubs.They also like to come on the deck and eat any bird seed they can find.They will even eat the sunflower hulls left by the birds.Needless to say,I don't let them out. They are escape artists tho, so I have had a few mishaps. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - quite a menagerie you've got there. I have 4 different seed feeders out but notice the birds like berries and "found" seeds better. I love your woodpecker shots - around here they are fairly shy. I had to look up fainter goats - what a fascinating breed they are!

    ReplyDelete