Thursday, September 9, 2010

NEW ADDITION

No it isn't a new addition to my garden , that's coming tho.This is a new addition to my barnyard. A friend bought baby chicks for her kids this spring. Unfortunately 3 out of the 4 were roosters and one got very  aggressive.  Soooo,   now I have a rooster. He seems to like his new home and wanders around with the goats. His name was "Bull's Eye" but I renamed him "Reddy Whip".



My dad had chicken for many years when we were growing up. A large box of baby chickens was delivered in the spring. Dad would keep them in the basement under heat lamps till they were big enough for the chicken coop and yard. I still remember the sound of a hundred baby chicks peeping at once. Of course come fall some the hens were made ready for the freezer, if you get my meaning. That was a day I wasn't  fond of.


There is a small animal swap meet at our local Feed Mill in a couple of weeks ,guess I will be shopping for a few companions for Reddy .

Have a blessed day, Lynda

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lynda, Oh, is Reddy Whip a pretty boy! Was he the one who was aggressive? I have a little flock of eight hens with no menfolk, I had the same problem with the aggression in the roosters. The 'girls' are so peaceful since we swapped a hen for him with another poultry person. When I was a kid, we used to raise 100 chicks too, and your post reminded me of the little cheeps under the heat lamp. So cute! Til next time, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morning Karen, Yes he was the aggressive rooster but I'm hoping being among larger animals will keep him in line, we'll see. I might have to get guinea hens instead instead of chicken hens. I not raising them for eggs ,so it doesn't really matter.

    ReplyDelete